Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gettin' My Groove Back

So I decided a while back that I need to get involved with some new groups or get a hobby or something...anything really. A girl I grew up with has consistently sent me invitations to events hosted by the Young Adults in the Catholic Diocese of Lexington. Last night I worked up the urge to go to my first event! The event was called "Theology on Tap." It's a seven week series (last night was week number 2, but my first time going) that covers a different topic with a guest speaker each week. It's held at a sports bar and grill, so the atmosphere was very comfortable. I ended up really enjoying myself and meeting a few new people! The speaker this week was Fr. Britto from Chicago who spoke on "Catholic Identity." My favorite point in his talk was about how Americans are very individualistic and pragmatic compared to past generations. Americans have a "shopper" attitude. We are always shopping for new cars, new shoes and new clothes even before the ones we have are worn out. They can still be perfectly good items, but we will shop around for something else we think we want or need. Fr. Britto said that there are two key areas in life where this "shopper" mentality doesn't work - faith and marriage. In those two areas it is important to commit and say, "This is all I need." It was really a valid point and something to think about! I think I will try to go again next Monday. It makes me feel like I'm getting my groove back a little bit. (I also have a Fayette Co. UK Young Alumni event...which is another good networking activity and group to get involved with, but it tends to still feel like I'm working instead of just enjoying.)

On a totally unrelated note, I accidentally killed a tree today. Mother Earth is probably mad at me. But it isn't my fault! I told the computer to print pages 1 & 2 and it decided not to listen! I hit cancel on the printer and on the computer...but when the next person sent something to the printer, it started printing my document again. All 118 pages of it. Oops.

Hope the week is off to a good start for everyone else!

Simply,
MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment