Friday, February 5, 2010

Reality Check: We're Growing Up

"Love is the most dangerous discourse in the world. It is daring and difficult because it makes you vulnerable, but if you experience it, it is the peak of human existence." - Unknown

So last night I had to work late because the local young alumni club held a Sewing 101 class, which ended up being a good time! Afterwards, I called one of my best friends from high school. We were just chatting about things -- namely her ex-boyfriend's insanely jealous WIFE -- and the conversation went something like this:

MJ: I mean, if you were still talking to him and trying to get him back I MIGHT understand, but it isn't like there is anything between you two except your past. AND you are in a serious relationship with someone else!

K: I know. I mean Brock and I even talk about engagement. Not any time soon. But we talk about it. He told me the other day that I would be married by the time I'm 24.

(At this point, for some reason, I almost lost it.)
M: Omigosh. I can't believe that. That makes me want to cry.

K: Why does that make you want to cry? I don't think I'll be engaged for a full year, but I at least want to be engaged for a few months. So that probably means we'll get married not this summer, but the next.

(At this point, I actually started crying.)

I have NO idea what my problem was. Maybe I was just exhausted from the 12.5 hour work day, because it isn't the right time for PMS hormones. (K: What is wrong with you? Are you about to start your period?) They weren't sad tears, though...I'm so happy for her that she has found such a great guy that she can see herself spending the rest of her life with. She deserves it. But it has never seemed so REAL before she said it right then. Every other time we've talked about engagements and marriage it was hypothetical and in the distant future. We weren't ever serious about it! I've had other friends get engaged and married, but she's my first really close friend to be in this situation. Marriage still seems so far away and unrealistic for me. It just hit me hard in that moment that one of my oldest and best friends will be getting engaged at some point this year. I still know all the embarassing things she's done in the last 10 years....she can't be getting MARRIED. I guess it was just a reality check. We really are growing up.

I'm a mess.

Simply,
MJ

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. It is so wierd to see your best friend in the world take that big step! You are so happy for her because this is what youve been dreaming about for years, but at the same time it is the reality that everything is changing and our lives arent like they were...Dont worry, I am not getting married any time soon :)

    ReplyDelete