Friday, January 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Down South

So Wednesday night I had my eyebrows done, which I desperately needed. My lady, Ashley, has just been waxing out of her house since she went on maternity leave. So I arrived 5 minutes early, knocked, and was greeted by her husband who joked, "Have a seat in our lobby," while motioning to the living room. The room off to the side where her table and supplies are was closed off -- which is secretly a signal for "I'm doing either a bikini or Brazilian right now." After a few minutes Ashley came out, followed a minute later by her client. The client was the definition of cougar or in a mid-life crisis. I could tell by her face she was a little older, but she had on fitted clothes, high-heeled knee-high boots, topped off by platinum blonde hair. The following conversation ensued:

Ashley: (pulling out planner) So how many weeks do we usually go?
Cougar: Usually 4 or 5 weeks.
A: (flipping) Well...4 weeks...that Monday is Valentine's Day. Did you want to come in before that?
(Husband and I exchange knowing glances and kind of snicker.)
C: .....(pausing)...... Nah, after 26 years it all looks the same in the dark.

Amen, sister.

I was about to die trying not to laugh. I couldn't believe she would say that in front of complete strangers -- Ashley, her husband, her 4 year old daughter, mom (or MIL?), and me. One of those, 'Did she really just say that?!?!' moments. It made my day.

(In case you were wondering, she went with Wednesday after V Day.)

Simply,
MJ

1 comment: